High Shear Emulsifier
The Rotostat high shear emulsifier features our Optishear technology. The unique patented revolving stator, when combined with the close-clearance, driven rotor and high efficiency lower propeller, optimizes shear rates, pumping rates and particle size reduction. Therefore, by carefully controlling all 3 characteristics, the Rotostat will never overshear materials or formulas.
Benefits and Features of Shear Emulsifiers
- Optimum shear rate and tank circulation
- Superb emulsion stability for extended shelf life
- Dramatically reduces batch times
- Eliminates fish-eyes and agglomerates
- High viscosity capability (50,000 CPS) at minimum power levels
- All stainless mix head, shaft, drive and motor available
- 100% lump-free emulsification of oil/water, starches, gums, CMC, HPMC, syrups and other high viscosity solutions
- Lab models and production sizes up to 100 HP
How High Shear Emulsifiers Work
The patented mixing head of the high shear emulsifier consists of an internal rotor surrounded by a freely revolving stator. The stator has three large external paddle blades which restrain its rotation to about 1/10 of the rotor speed. For example, the stator will revolve at 360 RPM with a rotor shaft speed of 3600 RPM in water-like materials.
Even more, the rotor pulls the product into the stator where the high shear action between the high-speed rotor blades and the slowly revolving stator rim subjects the material to an effective milling and grinding action. Above all, this occurs prior to being expelled with high velocity through outlets in the stator rim.
Therefore, with particles, agglomerates, solids, etc. passing through the outlets of the emulsifier, it exposes the intense cutting and disintegrating action for a further reduction of particle sizes.
Finally, all contents of the vessel pass through the mixing head of the emulsifier numerous times during the process, and a homogeneous product is achieved in minutes, where a conventional emulsifier/high shear mixer may require hours.